Spokane Symphony Education!
“The arts are not just a nice thing to have or to do if there is free time or if one can afford it. Rather, paintings and poetry, music and fashion, design and dialogue, they all define who we are as a people and provide an account of our history for the next generation.” — Michelle Obama
“Music education opens doors that help children pass from school into the world around them—a world of work, culture, intellectual activity and human involvement. The future of our nation depends on providing our children with a complete education that includes music.” — President Gerald Ford
OVERALL EDUCATION MISSION
A hallmark of Spokane Symphony education programs is to seek to bring audiences to a new relationship with music and the arts through programs that build on the work of educators, to engage teachers in preparing students for concert attendance, and to involve students in interactive presentations guided by best practices principles of instruction.
The Spokane Symphony seeks to engage new and/or underserved audiences where they live by presenting programs that stimulate enthusiasm for orchestral and instrumental music. The orchestra, ensembles and individuals will do this by giving concerts and interactive presentations of music that is familiar to a wide range of the community and that represent the diversity of cultures among us.
WHAT WE DO
The Spokane Symphony offers a wide variety of Education programs for families and students of all ages. Each year, close to 30,000 students, teachers, and parents in the Inland Northwest are enriched by the musicians of the symphony. Our education programs are designed to help the schools meet the Essential Academic Learning Requirements and achieve positive results on the Washington State Classroom Based Performance Assessments.
- Family-Friendly Concerts
- Family Packages for Classics concerts
- Instrument Petting Zoos
- 4th Grade Music Encounter Concerts
- Link Up — A program of Carnegie Hall's Weill Institute of Music (for grades 3-5)
- SEED — Symphony Ensembles for Education
- YMEP — Young Musicians Education Program (Symphony Musician coaches in schools)
- Young Friends — Free tickets for classrooms
- Master Classes — Guest artists teach students in the auditorium
- High School Concerts — Symphony performances in schools
- Student Essay Contest for high school students — Entry Form
- Master Classes
- Pre-Concert Talks before all Classics concerts — FREE for all ticket-holders.
- Education Classics concert
- Innovative programming, video conferencing capability utilizing Internet2 systems at the Martin Woldson Theater at The Fox
SIGN UP NOW!!
For more information please contact Janet Napoles at the Spokane Symphony, P.O. Box 365, Spokane, WA 99210