Mateusz Wolski, Concertmaster
Mateusz Wolski was born in Warsaw, Poland where he began his musical training at the age of seven. He studied at the Szymanowski Musical High School and the Chopin Music Academy in Warsaw before traveling to the U.S. to attend Manhattan School of Music. It was there, with full scholarship, that he completed his bachelorís and masterís degrees under the tutelage of New York Philharmonic Concertmaster Glenn Dicterow.
Mateusz has enjoyed a distinguished solo career both in the U.S. and abroad. Recent performances include the Beethoven Violin Concerto; Sibelius Violin Concerto in D Minor; Paganini First Violin Concerto; Karlowicz Violin Concerto; Wieniawski Second Violin Concerto in D Minor and Polonaise in A Major; Mozart Concerto in G Major and Simphonia Concertante; Bach Violin Concerto in A Minor and Double Concerto; Waxman Carmen Fantasie; Sarasate Carmen Fantasy; Brahms Double Concerto; and Vivaldi Four Seasons.
As an orchestral musician, he has played with New York Philharmonic in over 200 concerts and four international tours, as well as with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and National Philharmonic. Also an enthusiastic chamber musician, he has appeared in New York City at Weill Hall, Merkin Concert Hall, 92nd Street Y, the Kosciuszko Foundation, and on radio broadcasts with WQXR. International appearances have included Wigmore Hall in London and the Mozarteum in Salzburg, as well as several engagements throughout Poland, Italy, England and Germany.
Mateusz has had the privilege to play under the batons of many of the most distinguished conductors of our time, including Lorin Maazel, Yuri Temirkanov, Kurt Masur, Gerard Schwartz, Kristoph Eschenbach, Valery Giergiev, Charles Dutoit, George Manahan, Zdenec Macal, and Pinchas Zucherman.
Mateusz has recorded for dozens of movie soundtracks, including The Good Shepherd, The Departed, The Manchurian Candidate, Hitch, Intolerable Cruelty, The Rookie and Failure to Launch, as well as solo CDs of Audra MacDonald and Donny Osmond.
He performs on a violin owned by the Spokane Symphony that was crafted by Italian master Carlo Landolfi in 1779.